Sunday 16 October 2016

The Essential

The Vindobona Hash got started in April 1982, something of an old Chestnut for you readers. Around the same time I bought my copy of Frank Zappas 200 motels, a piece that had been released in 1971 and for years to come I had no clue about "Hashing" or what "Harriers" were. Yet what mesmerized me instantly when I listened to that double record (what is a double record?) for the first few times and what still fascinates me 34 years later amongst lots of other cool stuff is the humorous absurdity that is encapsulated in the piece "Dental Hygiene Dilemma". Years ago when the former Rehash format which I used to write for this group became outdated somehow it was Lord Glo-Balls (OVH) who encouraged me to start a Blogsite for our Hash.



via GIPHY


Back then I put a lot of thought into the overall topic of this blog and which connection it could have with non Hashing themes. Just about the only fitting title I could think was "What can I say about this elixir?" which is a central line in the piece "Dental Hygiene Dilemma". So, here I am, giving it another fresh start and I am happy to have found a fitting description about the musical piece, bad teeth, a bit of Frank Zappa and if you cannot understand how all this is linked with Hash House Harriers demeanour well then at least I can. The general looseness, the fun and the spontaneity in both forms, entertainment and inebriated staggering through common and not so common surroundings fits together just fine.

Read the article and then watch the video. To be recommended.



No comments:

Post a Comment